Summer is wonderful, but the intense sun, chlorine, and sand leaves our bodies in desperate need of rejuvenation! Here are some simple ways to restore your glow and prepare for fall.
1. Make your own “clarifying” rinse to remove all product buildup that leaves locks less that lustrous. Simply mix 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar with a quart of pure water. Wash hair with a gentle shampoo, then use this mixture as a final rinse.
2. Begin deep conditioning hair at least once a week. My favorite new concoction is to mix one ripe avocado with a few tablespoons of coconut oil. Massage into clean, damp hair, and sit in the sun (wearing sunblock) for a good 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with cool distilled water for incredibly shiny, soft hair.
3. Exfoliate! This is my favorite beauty “trick”, by far. Before showering, use a body brush (found at any health food store) and dry brush, starting at feet and working towards your heart. (Pay extra attention to areas like knees and elbows.) You can use a dry wash cloth on your face before cleansing, or damp for sensitive skin. I also like to use 1/4 cup or so of sugar in the shower. The sugar contains natural AHA’s as well, which leaves skin radiantly beautiful!
4. Try adding a little honey to your evening moisturizer. Honey is a fantastic natural moisturizer that also contains natural antibacterial properties. I often mix a bit with pure coconut or almond oil, but it’s just as effective when added to your product of choice. Just be careful not to overdue to prevent stickiness. 🙂
5. As Within, So Without. Try beginning your morning with some warm lemon water. This really gives your digestion a boost and clears your mind. I drink this every morning, following by a green drink made in my Vitamix. (Any green drink is detoxifying and energizing.) Cucumber is another potent detoxifier. Simply slice up some cucumbers and place in a pitcher with water. Let sit overnight in the fridge. Drink throughout the day for best results!
I hope you’ve enjoyed the summer, Dear Readers! It always seems to go by so quickly! Please feel free to share your ideas with me as transition into the season of Fall. 🙂