Here you will find all of my favorite “Outer Beauty” tips and ideas. They will change monthly, so check in regularly!
As the summer kicks in to gear, even lustrous locks can take a beating. While spending more time outdoors is very healthy, the effects of sun exposure, chlorine, sea water and wind can really take a toll. Here are some ways to ensure your hair remains your crowning glory, no matter the season!
1. Be sure to trim every 6 weeks. Many people also find hair grows more quickly in the summer, making this step even more important. This keeps the ends nice and healthy, preventing splitting and unwelcome dryness.
2. Unless you’re sweating excessively, don’t shampoo every day. This strips hair of natural moisture, creating a dulling effect. If you must shampoo frequently, skip the blow dryer altogether.
3. Switch your conditioner. While a heavy “mask” might seem like a good solution, it can be too heavy in the summer. Instead opt for a good “leave-in,” combing through while hair is still damp and letting air dry as much as possible. Look for one with SPF which will protect your hair in the surf and sun! I carry a bottle with me, applying throughout the day if I know I’m going to be spending a lot of time outside.
4. Rinse hair once weekly with a combination of distilled water and vinegar. This will remove all the buildup from salt to hair products. Simply wash hair using a gentle shampoo and rinse with the mixture. Leaves hair incredibly shiny and costs just pennies.
5. Coconut oil is a wonderful for the skin and the hair. For a once weekly conditioner apply to clean, damp hair and comb through. Let sit for 30 minutes, then rinse thoroughly. For extremely dry hair, leave in overnight.
6. Consider supplements. The saying “As within, as without” applies to health and beauty too! I’ve found supplementing 1,000 mg., of EPA/DHA as well as 5,000 mcg of biotin to not not only increase hair growth but ensures healthy, shiny hair. Great for skin, too!
7. Color your hair? Wear a hat! Nothing fades color faster than exposure to the summer elements. While SPF will help, the only true remedy is to keep locks under cover. A hat also protects your face from the sun!
With these easy ideas, you’ll reap all the benefits of additional vitamin D and fresh air, without any worry of less than lovely hair. 🙂